Sunday, August 22, 2010

Week 4 Reading: Misplaced Blame or Beyond the Board

"BLAME" by Joe Huber 2010

"The first part is to declare 'I am the framework for everything that happens in my life'" (Zander, 2000).

It's easy to get caught up in the blaming game. Fingers are pointed and words are exchanged. Each side strives to make their point so effectively (and sometimes loudly) that they don't often hear what the other person is trying to say. Sometimes this is the outcome of the particular game that we have chosen to play. Far too often we feel like we are at the whim of some larger force or some grand scheme when, in reality, we have the ability to shape our own destinies simply in viewing the world from reality glasses.

Far too often I've seen the fault and blame waltz, and sometimes I've been a willing participant. After all, it's easy to blame a slight fumble or misstep on your dance partner claiming that they have two left feet or stepped on yours.

It's that system of reward and punishment that we use to measure accountability that facilitates this behavior. Consider that high stakes standardized test that is administered to our students each spring, and you'll see what I mean. Students either score high, which results in a reward for them (passing to the next grade level), reward for the school (A status earns prestige and more money), and rewards for the staff (continued employment). Should these students not do well on the test, they are held back, schools lose funding, and employees are fired. For two years in a row, my school has failed to make AYP, despite being an A+ school. The first year we were told it was the fault of the teachers because we weren't differentiating enough. The teachers in turn blamed the students saying that they failed the test on purpose or just weren't smart enough. This year there was another round of blame, but I didn't pay attention to it. I zoned out.

I would rather be the board than one of the players this year. Maybe those students who didn't win the game last year did so because they really didn't want to play it. At some point we have to realize that the rules were written by adults, for adults. Children are the innocent pawns that are forced to play the board game when they would rather play a video game. They are bored with the board.

In typing this I've just had an epiphany. I don't want to be the board, I want to be the playing field.
Zander, R.S., & Zander, B. (2000). The art of possibility. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press.

4 comments:

  1. Your blog really put things into perspective as far as the blame aspect of the reading. It is very true. I constantly hear parents say that the teachers are not putting forth the effort to educate their children. I also hear teachers blaming the students. I never get involved either way. I feel like it is a team effort and neither can be blamed entirely, but then again people do fall into the blaming game very easily.

    -Qbee03

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Joe -
    Wow- the last paragraph in your post took my breath away! When you talk about children being the "innocent pawns" and being "bored with the board" you could not be more right on target! Often your insights from the reading make me re-evaluate how I interpret what I have read! Good job, Joe, and thanks so much for a new view on things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe,
    Your writing was very thought-provoking to me!!
    Especially, "I would rather be the board than one of the players this year. Maybe those students who didn't win the game last year did so because they really didn't want to play it. At some point we have to realize that the rules were written by adults, for adults. Children are the innocent pawns that are forced to play the board game when they would rather play a video game. They are bored with the board.

    In typing this I've just had an epiphany. I don't want to be the board, I want to be the playing field."

    You truly put this in amazingly clear perspective! Thanks for sharing it!
    I hope that we all will see less "bored with the board" this school year, as we implement what we have learned here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess you would rather use another metaphor than the "board." Zander's use of it does reveal a bit of a generation gap, but for those of us that remember playing board games it still is effective. Perhaps you can communicate this concept to your students using symbols more familiar to them. You are certainly not alone in your perspective on the system of testing in which we are caught in education. Students are aware of the "game" and are more the capable of sabotage. They will start asking why and maybe then we can give them the answers in which we actually believe.

    ReplyDelete