Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Week 1: Comment on Stacie's Blog

image courtesy of The Stock Exchange http://www.sxc.hu


BACK TO THE BEGINNING


”It’s all invented anyway, so we might as well invent a story or a framework of meaning that enhances our quality of life and the life of those around us.”

~Zander & Zander

Just like the shoe salesman that saw endless possibilities with Africa, I too want to be that educator who sees endless possibilities within the classroom. My students are ready for an incredible classroom experience, because they have never experienced the true worth of learning. Life in and of itself truly is all about perspective. With each experience and every encounter our perspective tends to bend and change. How much more should this be when we are shaping the way people learn. Zander and Zander remind me of these premises while I read their book, “Art of Possibility”.


“We perceive only the sensations that we are programmed to receive…” (Zander & Zander, 2000 p. 12). Therefore, to move past our own perceptions we must pose the two questions within the first chapter of Zander & Zander's book: 1) What assumption am I making, that I’m not aware I’m making, that gives me what I see? and 2) What might I now invent, that I haven’t yet invented, that would give me other choices?



I truly appreciate the thought evoking direction of this reading, because it forces me to return to the original purpose of my plan, which is to provide a dynamic and engaging learning experience to my students. This will definitely require me to push past my own perceptions and into new inventions. This book inspires me to rethink the possibilities within my classroom. What if I will only challenge my own perceptions? I am reminded of the reasons why I originally began my Masters in EMDT. I wanted to offer my students more.I wasn’t worried about Course Director Awards or having a 4.0 grade average. It is great to come back to the beginning.



Who am I being if my students' eyes are not shining?
~ Benjamin Zander (TED presentation)


REFERENCES

Zander, R., & Zander, B. (2000) The are of possibility. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press

1 comments:

Joe Huber said...

Stacie I absolutely have to agree with you and your take on this. I try to see every class period as an opportunity to sell shoes. I even plan on using my FSO degree to become a better salesman. This year will prove the hardest as I think I'm in for a bevy of customers who are very particular about their shoes.

I'm actually enjoying this book, and it reminds me quite a bit of some of Yongey Mingyur Rinpoce's writings.

I agree with your sentiments in your last two sentences as well. I'm enjoying the process and using my education. I'll be glad when society finally shifts from having begged-for meaningless slips of paper that mean absolutely nothing yet carry some imaginary prestige anyway. After all, it goes against what Zander says about giving everyone an "A."


No comments:

Post a Comment