Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Week 1: BP4-Open letter to my principal

image taken in World of Warcraft MMORPG

Following is a letter that I sent to my principal today. If I'm going to be radical(somewhat) I at least want to cover my bases.

David,

I know that at this time of year you are probably extremely busy, so appreciate your time to reading this diatribe that I have written.

With the new changes in store at SSMS, I am looking forward with both excitement and anxiety to the new school year. I want to try something new, but a concept that I set precedent for last year. I also want to run this concept by you because I know, unfortunately, that you won’t be my grade level administrator this year.

As you know, I’ve been pursuing my Master’s with Full Sail University, and every month presents a new opportunity to learn a different way to teach. During June I took a class titled Gaming Strategies and Motivation. During which I became addicted to World of Warcraft (WoW) (the educational possibilities in which are too numerous to write in an email-surprising, yes, I know), and learned how to incorporate games into my classroom. I read quite a few published studies about the concept, and even attended a webinar with Clark Aldrich, author of “Simulations and the Future of Learning.”

I’ve combined that knowledge with what I’ve read in “The Art of Possibility” by Zander and Zander; specifically the chapter about giving all students an A and the damage that grades can do.

My plan for this school year is to create a syllabus and classroom atmosphere where all students will receive an A provided that they A) Turn in their work and B) Follow directions. I tried this briefly towards the end of last year and was amazed at the levels of both mastery and creativity that my students expressed when a stressor was removed.

I know that we live within a system that still merits grades, but following the WoW example, I want to award Experience Points (XP) instead of grades. Here’s why. Yes, gaming can be, and is, quite fun. In WoW, the object is to read quests, complete them, and earn XP. Players are allowed to fail quests, and quite often die in the process. The game does not punish players for that. Players are allowed to redo the quest without penalty, and if they die in the process, they simply resurrect and begin where they left off. My assignments would work the same. Students (players) would earn XP. If they weren’t able to complete the assignment (quest), they could redo it until they can. I know that this creates more work for me, but seriously I don’t care. I’m their teacher, and I view it as my job to help them succeed. This year, however, I want to remove my teacher title and simply be known as the lead learner in my classroom. Teacher implies that I’m a wise sage who knows it all. I don’t. I plan to learn as much from my students as they learn from me.

I started utilizing the point value system in my classes last year instead of issuing grades, and the numerical values helped in terms of giving students that extra boost rather than become a setback. If you want to know more about what I would like to do, please contact me and I would be happy to discuss it further.

Thanks for your understanding,

Joe


When I get his response, I'll post it here.

1 comment:

  1. Look forward to it, love the idea of awarding students XP, they'll understand what that means.

    ReplyDelete