Monday, August 23, 2010

Week 4: Comment on Abbie's Blog

Wk 4 Reading - Deepest Fear

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous-
Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.
Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God within us. It is not just in some of us: it is in everyone,
And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same."
-Marianne Williamson


I found this quote in Ch. 11 (Frameworks for Possibility) in our textbook, and it opened up a world of possibility for me! I have so much fear in my life (which I mentioned in the discussion boards for this week) and this quote identifies the fear, reminds me I am a child of God, and encourages me to be myself without fear!


I also enjoyed the story in Ch. 11 about a woman named Alice Kahana and the very last thing she ever said to her brother. She has lived the rest of her life vowing to "not say anything that could not stand as the last thing she ever said." What if we thought about each thing we say to another human being as being the last? What would you change about what you say to your friends, family, and even strangers? I would change a lot of conversations I have...I would think more before I speak. What a great lesson to learn!



1 comments:

Joe Huber said...

One of the hardest things that I think we have to realize is human beings is that we are all a bit odd or strange to someone. That being said, I often fly my freak flag proudly and prominently.

It truly is a great lesson to learn to never say anything that you might regret. Years ago I decided to live my life this way. I do try to think and listen more than I speak. I too look towards my faith as a bit of guidance and now that I have rule #6 in my repertoire I feel much better about the way I approach situations.
I actually practiced shining my own light today with a colleague who was a bit stressed about her predicament. She said it helped and we're both better for the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment