Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Week 2: BP4-My Thoughts on Returning to Work


Image from The Stock Exchange (http://www.sxc.hu)

It's been a bittersweet couple of days so far. I've moved into my room and decided for the minimalist approach this year. Far too often I've toted crates worth of belongings back and forth from work to home so this year I decided to eliminate all of the materials that I've collected and never used. It's a new feeling for me, and a much happier one so far.

After reading Zander's chapter on making a contribution, I felt energized to begin my new year. Then I happened to drive by work and notice that our parking lot was resurfaced. I don't know what this cost the school, and I'm sure that I could find out, but I do know that if the county were to do the same to the streets in my neighborhood, the cost for paving in front of my house would be $1200 split between myself and the neighbor across the street. I imaging that a parking lot would be pretty expensive. This came as more of a slap in the face when you consider that we are facing our third year in a row without a pay increase, we might be looking at a pay cut, and furlough days as well.

At what point does making a contribution become a truly altruistic endeavor? I'm getting really tired of hearing "you're lucky to have a job." I'd be truly lucky if I could afford to pay off my students loans, or make the mortgage payment without flinching. Zander describes packing away one's feelings, putting them in a box, and "bask[ing] in the notion that [we] are a gift to others (p. 58).

It's like we all learned in our undergraduate degrees, and maybe see every day. When the needs of our students aren't met and they are worried about food, water, shelter, or other basic necessities, how easy is it to look at each day with a smile?

Zander, R.S., & Zander, B. (2000). The art of possibility. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press.

2 comments:

  1. Joe,
    I understand how frustrating it is to work in education right now. Many times the outside world doesn't understand the daily defeating messages we receive, whether it's standardized testing, pathetic pay that doesn't match our educational pursuits, or the struggle to motivate a classroom full of students. I just know that in my own life, I'm always reminded that I have a choice. If your current circumstances are building nothing but bitterness and frustration, it might be time to become an online teacher ;) Unfortunately, when school districts don't value their educators first, they are unable to retain the strongest teachers. Regardless, you are a creative and intelligent individual, and any school district would be lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe,
    Your final paragraph "It's like we all learned in our undergraduate degrees, and maybe see every day. When the needs of our students aren't met and they are worried about food, water, shelter, or other basic necessities, how easy is it to look at each day with a smile?" is a thought provoking one!
    Here's a twist though, what if your smile is the only one your students see? Your positive impact on your students will have far reaching effects that you may never be fully aware of!

    ReplyDelete