Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Week 3 BP4: If you E-create it, they will come.

Image "My Edmodo page" Joe Huber

As I sit typing this entry, I notice that my inbox is becoming inundated with mail messages. Upon further investigation I notice that all of this new mail is in the form of email notifications from Edmodo informing me that my students have begun posting to an assignment that isn't even due yet.

With Zander's help and advice, I've created AAA assignments that students get credit just for doing. This post involves students taking a practice naturalization test online and then commenting on whether or not they think that all U.S. citizens should take the test. Surprisingly, the students began to make additional posts to each other commenting on the scoring of the test, the validity of the questions, and why it is a necessary component to the naturalization process. They've completed my assignment, and they've created one of their own.

That surely is a testimony to why, as teachers, we should take the opportunity to sometimes just give our students an A. Especially when you consider that this all began on day 1 of school.

Zander, R. S. & Zander, B. (2000). The art of possibility. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press

2 comments:

  1. Amazing, Joe!!
    I can't tell you how happy I am for you that what we are learning in EMDT has taken on such life in your classroom! What a great example for all of us!
    Your students are so fortunate to have such an innovative and committed teacher! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Joe that is awesome! I love love love hearing stories like this one, because it reaffirms that students aren't lazy or lethargic. They simply haven't had the right spark, or good engaging information placed in front of them. You are an awesome teacher, because you take what you've learned and you immediately apply it. Kudos to you :)

    ReplyDelete