Sunday, August 15, 2010

Week 3 Reading: BTFI and "One Buttock" Teaching

Photo "Railroad Tracks" from The Stock Exchange (http://www.sxc.hu)

BTFI: Beyond the F*&% It.

With the return to school and the inevitable horror of planning week, I had the opportunity to express many FI moments. What I am particularly enjoying about the Zanders' book is how every time I pick it up to read it, it pertains to what is happening in my professional life. I had originally intended to get all of my reading done and finished so that I could focus on the publishing aspect of my final project, but procrastination got in the way. I have a difficult time doing anything when I'm given too much time. In the case of the readings, it worked as I've read each chapter at the most apropos moment.

I am the first to admit that I let planning week get too far under my skin. I do not work well with adults, and find that I'm better suited to conversation with my students than my colleagues. In fact, one of the big sticking points this year is the loss of our block schedule. Personally I don't care whether or not we have traditional or block, and most of the studies on either are told from the adult point of view. Our vote on the topic was last year, and the bitter arguments surrounding that time period still ring fresh in my mind. I had a FI moment, mostly due to my apathy on the subject, and created a BTFI moment when I told my students about the vote and asked them what they preferred. It would directly impact them, so in the absence of a strong feeling on my part, I let them be the deciding factor. I announced this to one of my team members this week, who now is confused as to why the opinion of the students matter so much to me. This is another BTFI moment in the making; it's too early to see how it will play out.

I decided yesterday that I've had my FI moments, now it is time to work towards the BTFI moments. I am going to teach like I'm balancing on one buttock and take those risks again. It seems like every 1st week back with just the staff produces a plethora of FI moments; it's the prospect of BTFI moments that makes me love my job.

"Where is the electric socket for possibility, the access to the energy of transformation?" (Zander, 2000).

Like Zander says, it's where you let yourself go and lean into your work. Where you dare to let go of the edges and participate. This is the kind of teaching that I do in my room. I used to call it "flying by the seat of my pants." Zander refers to it as being on one buttock. I can't plan ahead, and I can't do direct instruction. Both of those bore me, and when forced to do either. I've been placed in a situation where I am forced to accommodate a direct instruction and type "A" planner this year. With Zander's and Buddha's help, I have come up with a solution to my dilemma. It involves both BTFI and the one buttock method. We'll see how it pans out.

Zander, R. S. & Zander, B. (2000). The art of possibility. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press




9 comments:

  1. I am the same way with planning ahead Joe. I have found that I cannot stick to what I plan to do. I get excited and go with the flow. I think that when I have to teach from a direct instruction approach, the lesson becomes rigid and predictable. When the lesson becomes that way, I get uptight and the students can feel it. I also think that it is great that you care about your students opinion. Happy students equal a happy teacher :)

    -Quinn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe
    I think you are an awesome teacher and I wish that my daughters could have taken your course when they were in middle school! I admire how aware you are of yourself and your teaching style. I also like how you've stated, "Like Zander says, it's where you let yourself go and lean into your work. Where you dare to let go of the edges and participate. This is the kind of teaching that I do in my room. I used to call it "flying by the seat of my pants." Zander refers to it as being on one buttock."
    I feel that as teachers we always need to be evaluating and tweaking... ready to change things up to meet the needs of our students in a split second! Excellent work applying the reading to your situation!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JOE!
    BRAVO! I love your post. I'm sitting here giggling at your perspective, because we are so alike in our teaching methods. I often look bedazzled at those teachers who try to reign me into a plan of action for the year. I think to myself, "who knows where these kids or this year will take me. If we make a plan now, we'll just be frustrated when we're not following it." LOL I love taking it a day at a time, because that is what the responsive teacher does! We RESPOND to our students needs, not our schedule. I say it again BRAVO!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joe,
    I too have found that the readings seem to be apply to what's happening in my life. Kinda funny how that works :) I must also applaud your attitude. I will never turn down a plan, but I also realize that plans are made to fail and create chaos. Teaching as if being on one buttock is all about managing the chaos. I also love that you asked your students' opinions about the schedule change. Your willingness and need for change in teaching definitely keeps your students excited and engaged. Good luck embracing one buttock teaching this school year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You picked my two absolute favorite quotes from the book, "one-buttock" and "BTFI." Your response was also very similar to mine. This is a great book to be reading at the beginning of another school year. I also hate teacher inservice, especially when it comes in a full week blast. It's exhausting and often discouraging. I will be using BTFI as my silent mantra all year and hopefully able to engage and maintain a level of "one-buttock" passion in my teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you will find that BTFI perspective and the one buttock method will offer you many teachable moments, especially in the middle school setting. I don’t necessarily agree that these two ideas are directly related to “flying by the seat of the pants” though. I think the perspective and method should be used during lesson planning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Comment on Joe Huber’s Blog:
    Planning ahead is definitely not my strong suit. I find myself not being able to work unless it has to get done; I always fine ten other things I would rather do. I think that the BTFI moments that we come across and witness are not appreciated or recognized any more. For instance when watching sports or a musical or acting performance, we no longer acknowledge these moments, it’s almost like we expect them. Students may come across these moments much more often than we think but we are too busy grading and judging them to notice them.

    ReplyDelete