Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Week 2: Comment of Kathy's Blog

Wk2 Reading "Leading From Any Chair"



As a musician, the "5th Practice of leading from any chair" (Zander, 2000 p.67) was a chapter I really resonated with! I have played for many conductors in my lifetime. My favorite was a man named Hugo Huss, and I played under his direction for multiple summers when I attended Symphony School of America. He was easy to follow, passionate about the music, and inspired me to reach a level of performance that I wouldn't have dreamed possible. I'd like to think that he would have embraced the concept of the "white sheets" (p.70)

I've led from different chairs in my playing experiences...Principal flute, 2nd flute, Piccolo....section member. My favorite chair is 2nd flute, supporting the harmony and being a strong voice underneath the principal...my college flute professor taught me much about that role, as we would play duets at every lesson and he would play 2nd! More often than not, I model that concept with my private flute students. When I think of my present teaching position, I "play the principal flute role" in the elementary piece of my position, but in the middle school instrumental piece, definitely the supporting role of "2nd flute"! Piccolo is probably my least favorite chair, because of its high exposure...nowhere to hide...totally out there!

May my eyes be more open to recognizing which chair my students lead best from, allow them to experience passion, and teach them to be a strong voice where they are most comfortable, and also risk the exposure of an "out there" chair!

Source:
Zander, B. & Zander, R. (2000). The art of possibility. Boston, MA:Harvard Business School Press

1 comments:

Joe Huber said...

I really knew that you would enjoy this book once I started reading it. It's great that it tells a message, but it must be even better for you because that message is twice as relevant due to its musical content and your musical affinity.

I plan to let my students lead as much as possible this year. I really want to continue to take that back row seat and listen to them and see what they are capable of.

No comments:

Post a Comment