Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Week 2: Comment on Abbie's Blog

Wk 2 Reading - Contributions

Wow...the next three chapters in our textbook, The Art of Possibilities, were extremely eye-opening for me! Ever read something that makes you feel self-absorbed, small-minded, and ashamed? That's how I felt when I read about making your life a contribution, instead of focusing on competing and playing games on a daily basis. Committing your life to being a contribution forces you to take the focus off of yourself and on to other people!
I don't think it was a coincidence that yesterday during the church service I attended, the pastor spoke about Jesus's life being focused around pleasing his Father. This is how we should live our lives, focused on pleasing our Father. I think one way of doing this is living our lives to be a contribution to others. I feel like I'm finally getting the message that is so desperately being directed at me.

Another aspect of the book that I connected with was Rule Number 6. I thought it was best put by the authors in the quote "Lighten up, which may well light up those around you." I'm going to post this on my desk as I start school again tomorrow - I think it will make a big difference with the way I look at things in the classroom!


Joe Huber said...

Abbie,

I've become a fan of Rule #6. Sometimes it is hard not to take things so seriously when so much seems to be going on, but like you I posted it on my desk and look forward to talking with my students about it.

I think that you are right about being a contribution, and no matter which faith you practice, it is sage advice. We tend to focus on the negative and what's being done to us too often. When you look at it in a different light, it really makes sense. This entire book is definitely something that I plan to use quite a bit this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment